Standing Against Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia
This group is working to address issues of bias, especially Islamophobia, xenophobia, and anti-Semitism.
NOT IN OUR CITY: NYC: Formed in response to a rise in hate crimes after the 2016 presidential election, Not in Our City: NYC stands up to acts of intolerance against Jews, Muslims, and others whose vulnerability has increased under the present administration. We will not remain silent in the face of hate and bigotry.
Not In Our City: NYC focuses on:
- Responding rapidly to hate crimes against Muslims, Jews, and other targeted people by holding vigils at the site where the act took place, whenever possible.
- Working with Muslim and Jewish leaders to build solidarity.
- Providing upstander and de-escalation training to encourage others to take a stand against bias crimes as they occur.
CULTURE CLUB: Culture Club is a performing arts and community building series created to foster understanding, initiate dialogue, and cultivate friendships through the joyful celebration of Muslim and Jewish culture. Our goal is to use joy and culture as a bridge between people and communities.
Our projects focus on:
- Featuring the work and performances of Muslim and Jewish artists side by side.
- Facilitating dialogue to promote discussion among diverse groups of people.
- Using social experience to build community and common cause.
Other sub-groups within the Standing Against Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia group are doing the following:
- Working with leaders in the Muslim community in Kensington to build solidarity through initiatives such as the “Hate Free Zone,” which launched in Kensington on January 25.
- Building a large, visible Muslim-Jewish alliance to oppose Islamophobia and anti-Semitism through cultural events, and working to oppose the Muslim ban.
To get involved with Not In Our City: NYC, email email@example.com.
To get involved with Culture Club, email firstname.lastname@example.org.